As digitalization is spreading its wings, vulnerabilities and threats are also spreading. Every digitalized business wants trusted security locks to put on the websites for halting any cyber-attacks. Cyber-attacks are prevailing, recent cyber-attacks like Ransomware WannaCry have created a concern for all businesses regarding how secure their respective websites are, through which they are selling their services or products to their customers. Cyber-attacks haven’t just concerned businesses, but these raise an alarm for customers regarding how secure their transactions and data are.
All these collectively reinforced the need of security testing to ensure the website, which is representing a business, to be resistant to vulnerabilities and threats. There isn’t much awareness about what kind of vulnerabilities and threats are prone to websites, so here we are to give you an exposure to those 10 OWASP vulnerabilities and security risks which, if not amended can cause the downfall in business leading to lack of customers.
- Injection: It is a kind of attack in which the application forwards untrusted data to the interpreter. It mostly occurs in legacy code, and SQL injection attack could be considered as the most prevalent. Mostly the data theft is the impact of either code injection or SQL injection, but if we talk about the worse it can even fully take over the system depending where the injection survives.
- Broken Authentication and Management Session: These kinds of flaws occur due to errors in user authentication and managing active sessions. These flaws are considered extremely important to look after, as it can put the confidentiality of a company’s data at risk by giving access to attackers to impersonate as business users. Because of the same reason, “Broken Authentication and Management Session” has been in OWASP top 10 list since 2004.
- Cross Site Scripting (XSS): These attacks work on exploiting compromised users of a websites, giving access to cookies, sessions IDs, passwords and even private messages. Victims aren’t targeted directly, but by exploiting a vulnerability in a website that a victim has visited through client-side code injection into the web browser.
- Broken Access Control: Access controls restrict others other than users to access content and functions of a web application. Access controls can be compromised on passwords or sessions ID’s when attackers leverage the implementation flaws using other users’ credentials. The attacker can steal passwords, security keys etc.
- Security Misconfiguration: An outdated configuration could lead to dangerous results. The attacker may steal the authorized credentials and can also take charge over the full system by leaving it handicapped.
- Sensitive data Exposure: The attack is able to happen only if data is not protected enough. This threat can lead to trapping of the passwords, token sessions, private information on cards such as credit card, and moreover private health data information is also at stake.
- Insufficient Attack Protection: Lacking the ability to detect and defend the attack rises the risk of being the victim of cyber-attack. Protecting the input data is not the only concern. It demands auto detection, prevention, blocking of the threatening websites or access otherwise the loss of information will be too dangerous.
- Cross-Site Request Forgery: This attack occurs when the attacker disguises as a user and sends request. The impact of accepting such attack disguised request for the layman may lead to change in credentials, transferring the funds etcetera. If an admin is the target, it could cause breaking into the whole system and doing according to the self needs.
- Using Components with Known Vulnerabilities: Web services mostly run with known vulnerabilities such as libraries, framework etc. Exploiting vulnerable component may end up in loss of data or takeover of the system. The exact impact is elusive but it is sure that the adverse will be the result.
The above-mentioned vulnerabilities are not less than any nightmare to any business when these are exploited by hackers. Just like the fire spreads instantly, the adverse news about your website has been compromised for security leads to the fatal results for the revenue generation for the business. So, the security of website against threats and vulnerabilities becomes the priority for businesses.
At ClicQA, we understand that “security testing” is not just identifying vulnerabilities and threats that a website can become victim for, but helping businesses to build a thick border around their website – making it secured to the highest. We have the expertise built around OWASP (Open Web Application Security Project) top 10 vulnerabilities.
Being expertise in web app Security, ClicQA has the track record in testing websites and web applications, and preparing a bug report as per categorized by OWASP as top 10 security threats. Not only this, we have a good hold on substantial exploits also for creating a strong case for the vulnerabilities which prevail in the software.
We, at ClicQA, assure you that if your system is a victim of such detrimental attacks, we will uproot those security vulnerabilities to the core which are paving a way for the attackers to take a charge over your website. Our Web Security Testing Skills will not leave you disappointed at all, by not just identifying security vulnerabilities and threats but also hardening your software.